Job Reference No.: CSS_F00452_HEU121817_Systems_2022_02_01
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) is a state-of-the-art, large scale, high throughput, clinically accredited genomics and bioinformatics facility. If you have a technology diploma plus experience with multi-user networks and client/server architecture—along with an interest in research science and motivation to contribute to efforts toward improving the lives of cancer patients—then join our team at the GSC!
The Computer Systems Specialist provides high-end technical support for the GSC information technology infrastructure, including data servers, data network, and client workstations, as well as the website. Duties include establishing technical standards, designing infrastructure architecture, installing, configuring and upgrading infrastructure components, monitoring infrastructure security and performance, and proactively planning infrastructure enhancements.
The position is anchored within a team of exceptional scientists, computational biologists and programmers, which collaborate directly on the development of robust, cost efficient, and competitive processes for new targeted and precision medicine analytical pipelines. By working within the GSCs bioinformatics facility, you will develop close relationships with world-renown computational and genome science technologists, cancer researchers and medical scientists; have access to one of the most robust computational and next generation genome sequencing technology facilities in Canada, all while living in one of the most beautiful, diverse and eclectic cities in the world. Your work will help to save lives and contribute to a world free from the fear of cancer.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
What are you waiting for? Apply now!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, configures, modifies and tests computer hardware used as servers on the GSC network.
- Installs, configures, and upgrades server software.
- Designs and implements the GSC network infrastructure, including the design of network topology and the selection and installation of network components.
- Monitors the security of the information technology infrastructure and its components, including firewalls.
- Prepares and communicates policies and procedures on security.
- Develops configuration standards and implementation procedures for network peripherals such as client workstations and network printers.
- Maintains website hardware and runs webserver software.
- Creates and maintains mailing groups.
- Codes, modifies, tests and maintains programs to meet user requirements.
- Develops GSC wide backup and recovery procedures.
- Monitors and reports on the performance of all infrastructure components, and responds to and resolves any issues regarding performance.
- Prepares plans for proactive infrastructure upgrades, including evidence-based reporting on the rationale for such upgrades.
- Resolves user issues on the technical infrastructure.
- Provides expert advice on technical issues.
- Assists with strategic planning on GSC information technology infrastructure, including data, voice and video.
- Consults with external contacts, including vendors and external partners, on issues regarding technical infrastructure.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
Completion of Grade 12, plus graduation from a recognized two-year systems technology diploma plus three (3) years of recent related experience, which includes experience in:
- Client/server architecture.
- Multi-user networked environment.
- Personal computers.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to type.
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with all levels of staff both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using Job Reference No.: CSS_F00452_HSA121817_Systems_2022_02_01 in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain online until filled.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely within British Columbia on a temporary basis with an ability to come to the normal workplace within reasonable notice. This restriction would be re-evaluated after finalization of reopening plans.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
About the GSC
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC)
Today’s Research. Tomorrow’s Medicine.
The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.