Dr Leandro Venturutti began his scientific career at the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina), where he studied the structure and function of a protein lost in the hereditary neurodegenerative disease Friedreich Ataxia. Pursuing his profound interest in biomedical sciences and mechanisms of disease, he moved on to the cancer research field for his PhD studies. He devoted a significant part of his thesis work to exploring pathways of metastatic dissemination, identifying clinically useful predictive biomarkers, and developing novel therapeutic tools for breast and gastric tumors. Dr Venturutti completed his training working as a postdoctoral researcher at the Division of Hematology and Oncology (Weill Cornell Medicine, USA), where he investigated how recurrent mutations in aggressive B-cell lymphomas alter the epigenome and contribute to the early stages of malignant transformation.
Dr Venturutti was recruited to the BC Cancer Research Institute in 2021 to start his own research group. His goals are to identify and understand the mechanisms driving the progression and dissemination of B-cell lymphomas, as a means to develop minimally invasive diagnostic tools, and novel prophylactic and curative treatments. His group exploits modern high-parameter technologies to study clinical specimens and develops sophisticated models of disease to tackle profound biological questions with great translational potential.
- Postdoctoral Associate in Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medicine, New York, USA.
- Ph.D., Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Natural and Exact Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- B.Sc., Biotechnology and Molecular Genetics, Department of Science and Technology, National University of Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- (2022-) Scholar, Michael Smith Health Research BC (Canada).
- (2017-2020) Career Development Program Fellow, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (USA).
- (2012-2016) PhD Fellow, National Scientific and Technical Research Council (Argentina).
- (2011) Graduate Research Fellow, National Cancer Institute (Argentina).
- (2010) Undergraduate Research Fellow, National Ministry of Education (Argentina).
- Scientist, Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Research Institute.
- Scientist, Centre for Lymphoid Cancer, BC Cancer Research Institute.
- Assistant Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia.