We are seeking a highly-motivated and highly skilled individual with expertise or experience in cloning, sub-cloning, CRISPR-Cas9, next-generation sequencing and a strong background in molecular biology. The successful applicant will work full-time under the direction and supervision of both Dr. Samuel Aparicio, Principal Investigator, and the Laboratory Research and Operations manager. The position will provide the candidate with a high level of exposure to all current on-going project within Aparicio Lab, such as areas of single cell genomics and translational research, CRISPR-cas9 and patient derived xenograft drug screening, as well as, providing opportunities to work collaboratively with industry partners and other researchers globally; position start date is flexible.
The Aparicio lab uses the latest technologies to rapidly identify genes that are involved in the development of breast cancer. Through the use of single cell genome and transcriptome methods for tracking clonal trajectories at single cell level in patient tissues, we hope to gain a better understanding of tumor microenvironment. In addition, we explore the effect drugs on tumor evolution through the use of patient derived xenograft and CRISPR-Cas9. This position involves providing high level, senior technical support in the main areas of molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology for researchers on current on-going research projects. Individual should possess a strong molecular biology background, with experience in DNA/RNA extraction and handling, subcloning, cloning and tissue culture. Recent hands on experience with cloning, sub-cloning and CRISPR-Cas9 work will be considered an asset. Furthermore, experience, understanding and familiarity with handling of genomics DNA for next-generation sequencing and preparation of next-generation sequencing library will be an advantage.
Aparicio Lab is located in the department of Molecular Oncology at BC Cancer Research Institute in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The candidate will report directly to Dr. Samuel Aparicio, or Laboratory and Research Operation Manager, in addition, the applicant may assist in overseeing technical work of students and trainees.
- Plans and performs advance procedures, complex experiments and/or techniques of molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology for current on-going research projects
- Oversee progression of projects assigned, in addition, participate, and provide suggestion or expertise for other research activities on-going.
- Generation, preparation and submission of next-generation sequencing libraries.
- Track samples, record data and work a LMIS systems
- Provide senior level technical expertise and support in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, tissue culture and virology
- Developing and implementing standard operating protocols (SOPs).
- Maintains laboratory records and experimental data; when require summarize results in research reports and lab presentations.
- Assist in general lab maintenance, reagent preparation, receiving and inventory of lab supplies.
- Assist, develop and/or update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies.
- Presents data at scientific meetings, writes reports and contributes to writing ethics and grant applications when required.
- Assist in general maintenance of the lab and receiving and inventory of lab supplies.
- Provide training and instruction for specialized techniques and equipment.
- Provide expertise in the area of Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Cell Biology to help troubleshoot complex experimental methods and procedure for staff, junior staff, trainees and students.
- Assist lab manager with oversight of trainee students.
- Carries out any other related duties as assigned or required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of this level of technician.
- Optimizing existing protocols, as well as, developing new protocol to improve throughput, quality control, efficiency, and/or robustness in collaboration with teammates and other research staff.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
The work is of a complex nature and required high level of training, tasks are assigned and the incumbent exercises a considerable amount of responsibility, initiative and judgment in determining own work schedule to achieve those tasks. Errors may result in the permanent loss of irreplaceable tissue samples, loss of thousands of dollars of material and/or damage to equipment. Incorrect decisions or actions may damage the reputation of the laboratory, lead to loss of credibility in this field, and be financially costly. Noncompliance with biosafety and chemical safety regulations may also result in closure of facility or loss of grant funding.
The successful applicant will work under minimum supervision. From time to time, Principal Investigator or Laboratory Research and Operations Manager may provide specific instructions on unusual problems, or new project outlines. This position will report to the Principal Investigator or Laboratory Research and Operations Manager.
Depending on experience and expertise, the successful applicant is expected to assist in training and supervision of graduate students/trainees or junior staff, including providing instruction on use of lab equipment and procedures, and will help troubleshoot experiments in their area of expertise.
- A MSc in Biological Sciences (Molecular Biology or other relevant field) or BSc with 3-5 years of related experience in academic research or biotech industry settings, preference will be given to applicants with work experience in single cell genomics biology or molecular biology.
- A working knowledge and understanding of advance molecular biology and biochemistry techniques such as next-generation sequencing, PCR, DNA/RNA purification and cloning techniques is essential; prior working experience in next-generation sequencing and library construction is considered a great asset.
- Experience with cell culture and aseptic technique.
- Working hands-on experience in tissue handling and tissue dissociation methods would be an asset.
- Ability to perform and troubleshoot a wide variety of molecular and cellular biology techniques including the following: RNA / DNA isolation, quantitative PCR, transfection, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, protein isolation, and western blotting.
- Preference will be given to applicants with, molecular cloning and subcloning, single cell genomics, next-generation sequencing, and 10x Genomics experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of experimental design and assay optimization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication skills (orally and written) and the ability to interact positively and productively with other team members are essential.
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- The successful candidate must be well-organized, conscientious, understand the importance of detail, and be able to multi-task and prioritize duties effectively.