Researchers in the Department of Molecular Oncology at the BC Cancer Research Institute uses the latest technologies to rapidly identify genes that are involved in the development of cancer. This position will be involved in providing technical support in molecular biology, biochemistry, microscopy and robotics for current on-going research projects in the lab.
The successful applicant will report to the Principal Investigator or his/her delegate and may assist in overseeing technical work of students and trainees.
- Plans and performs experiments utilizing complex procedures and/or techniques
- Processes primary tissue samples
- Maintain cell cultures using aseptic techniques
- Provide molecular biology support – DNA and RNA, cloning, extraction/isolation, PCR
- Provide basic protein biochemistry support – western blotting
- Experience with antibody labelling is preferred
- Ability to record data and work with informatics systems that stores and display data is essential
- Carries out laboratory techniques following standard operating protocols
- Maintains laboratory records and experimental data; when require summarize results in research reports and lab presentations
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The work is of a complex nature, tasks are assigned and the incumbent exercises a considerable amount of responsibility, initiative and judgment in determining own work schedule to achieve those tasks. Non compliance with biosafety and chemical safety regulations may result in closure of facility or loss of grant funding.
The successful applicant will report to the Principal Investigator or designate.
Depending on experience and expertise, the successful applicant maybe be required to assist in training of graduate students/trainees including instruction in use of lab equipment and procedures and will troubleshoot experiments in their area of expertise.
Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge and understanding of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques is essential, with prior working experience in molecular biology in laboratory setting is considered an asset.
- Experience with cell culture and aseptic technique preferred.
- Ability to perform and troubleshoot a wide variety of molecular and cellular biology techniques including the following: RNA / DNA isolation, quantitative PCR, transfection, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, protein isolation, and western blotting.
- Preference will be given to applicants with antibody labeling experience.
- Experience in immunocytochemistry and basic data analysis in R or similar statistics package would be an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of experimental design and assay optimization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact positively and productively with other team members are essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- The successful candidate must be well-organized, conscientious, understand the importance of detail, and be able to multi-task and prioritize duties effectively.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org – Please put your full name and the job title in the subject line.