Researchers in the Department of Molecular Oncology at the BC Cancer Research Institute uses the latest technologies to rapidly identify genes that are involved in the development of cancer. This senior position will be involved with working on the Single Cell genomics project, in addition, providing general technical support in molecular biology, biochemistry, microscopy and robotics for other current on-going research projects in the lab.
The successful applicant will report to the Principal Investigator or his/her delegate and may assist in overseeing technical work of students and trainees.
- Plans and performs experiments utilizing complex procedures and/or techniques.
- Using of liquid handling robotics and 10x genomics platforms to investigate single cell genomics
- Visualize and analyse cells using microscopy and flowcytometry.
- Generation, preparation and submission of Next Generation Sequencing Libraries.
- Track samples, record data and work with informatics systems that stores and displays data
- Liaise with collaborators and vendors.
- Provide technical expertise in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, virology, support and guidance to collaborators and researchers.
- Data analysis using R script or other basic statistic analysis program
- Provide molecular biology support – DNA and RNA, cloning, extraction/isolation, PCR
- Provide basic protein biochemistry support – western blotting
- Carries out laboratory techniques following standard operating protocols.
- Maintains laboratory records and experimental data; when require summarize results in research reports and lab presentations.
- Assist, develop or update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies
- Assist in general maintenance of the lab and receiving and inventory of lab supplies
- Researches and determines the applicability of new technology and systems related to work
- Conducts complex analysis and interpretation of data resulting from high throughput experiments.
- Presents data at scientific meetings, writes reports and contributes to writing ethics and grant applications.
- Carries out any other related duties as assigned or required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of this level of technician.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The work is of a complex nature and required high level of training, tasks are assigned and the incumbent exercises a considerable amount of responsibility, initiative and judgment in determining own work schedule to achieve those tasks. Errors may result in the permanent loss of irreplaceable tissue samples, loss of thousands of dollars of material and/or damage to equipment. Loss of research results could result in the failure of a funded project and put in jeopardy any future funding and the international reputation of the Laboratory. Non compliance with biosafety and chemical safety regulations may also result in closure of facility or loss of grant funding.
Works under minimum supervision, receiving specific instructions only on unusual problems or when receiving new project outlines from the principal investigator. The successful applicant will report to the Principal Investigator or designate.
Depending on experience and expertise, the successful applicant maybe be required to assist in training and supervision of graduate students/trainees or junior staff, including providing instruction in use of lab equipment and procedures, and will help troubleshoot experiments in their area of expertise.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline or Graduation from a technical college or institute.
- A postgraduate degree in Science is preferred but not required. Minimum of 5 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a research lab setting.
- A working knowledge and understanding of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques is essential, with prior working experience in molecular biology in laboratory setting is considered an asset.
- Experience with cell culture and aseptic technique.
- Ability to perform and troubleshoot a wide variety of molecular and cellular biology techniques including the following: RNA / DNA isolation, quantitative PCR, transfection, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, protein isolation, and western blotting.
- Preference will be given to applicants with liquid handling robotics, single cell genomics, Next Generation Sequencing, 10x Genomics experience.
- Experience in immunocytochemistry and basic data analysis in R or similar statistics package would be an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of experimental design and assay optimization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact positively and productively with other team members are essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- The successful candidate must be well-organized, conscientious, understand the importance of detail, and be able to multi-task and prioritize duties effectively
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org – Please put your full name and the job title in the subject line.