The candidate would work within a dynamic and vibrant lab with a proven track record of outstanding achievements and contributions in breast oncology research. This position allows the candidate to contribute bold and innovative research that can be translated to new understanding in the evolutionary processes that drive cancers.
This position's primary focus in the lab will be to lead and to participate in projects involving the investigation of functional genomics using sequencing and expression data for breast oncology and cancer evolution. Using the wide network of connections and collaborations of the principal investigator, and extensive biomedical resources at the institution, candidates will be able to build on the existing research of the lab to quickly start up their own research projects.
The position will provide a unique opportunity for mentoring trainees, supervising analysts and interacting with industry. This is an excellent platform to receive outstanding training to gain the important skills for a successful medical research career in academia or industry.
This funded position with the University of British Columbia, at the BC Cancer Research Centre allows the candidate to flourish under the guidance of an experienced mentor
The Postdoctoral Fellow will play a leadership role in the Aparicio lab, and will be reporting directly to Dr. Samuel Aparicio who is the primary investigator of the laboratory. More information on the lab, please visit https://aparicio.molonc.ca
- Management and supervision of trainees;
- May be involved in recruitment and training of trainees;
- Performing regular reviews of the relevant literature;
- Planning and designing of experiments;
- Analyzing, interpreting and compiling data in study reports, presenting results, and participating in the preparation of scientific manuscripts and grant application packages;
- Updating Dr. Aparicio and the group on the status of projects during lab meetings, in email correspondence and phone conferences;
- Managing projects with key academic and industry partners.
- PhD degree in the computer science, bioinformatics or equivalent
- At least 4 years experience in bioinformatics research
- Experience in genomics and next-generation sequencing
- Extensive knowledge of cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics
- Experience with cancer research a plus
- Proven ability to multi-task in a deadline oriented environment with minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skill and ability to learn new skills quickly
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail required
- Candidates should demonstrate the ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Works independently under direction of PI, Dr. Samuel Aparicio
- Opportunities to work collaboratively with Industry partners and other researchers at UBC and globally
- Assists and oversees research assistants and students as required
- Assists and provides guidelines to other research members, as required
How to Apply
Exceptional candidates should submit a cover letter outlining your research interests and fit with the laboratory's research, curriculum vitae, and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference.
Due to the number of resumes we receive, we are unable to confirm receipt of submissions over the phone, or provide the status of the competition. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply: Please upload your Cover Letter, CV, Transcript and Work Sample to the application.