A position is open immediately for a cloud engineer to work with our interdisciplinary team of researchers and software developers at the BC Cancer Research, a non-profit research centre under the Provincial Health Services Authority and University of British Columbia. We are seeking a passionate individual to join a team of programmers and data scientists currently developing cloud-based software solutions and services to help accelerate academic research for the Molecular Oncology Department at BC Cancer. Our group currently handles petabytes of digital patient data from thousands of individuals and samples, and face exciting challenges in performance, scalability, security, user experience and optimization. The successful candidate will work closely with researchers and programmers to design and implement best solutions utilizing cloud infrastructure and services for existing and novel problems. Ideal candidates will demonstrate experience in designing and deploying effective cloud solutions to existing and novel computational, networking and storage challenges.
Working on software tasks, both independently and reporting to the project lead in Molecular Oncology or designate, and in conjunction with investigators within BC Cancer, UBC and internationally.
- Development and maintenance of cloud applications and services
- Migration of on-premise applications and services to cloud
- Designing and implementing networking and security groups in Azure
- Cost-optimization and security monitoring of Azure activities
- Documentation and training of cloud environment usage
- Governance and administration of cloud environment
- Exploring and prototyping applications on other cloud providers
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Accountable for the infrastructure and platform for major production research systems that have significant research progress implications.
Supervision from Principal Investigator or designate. Results reviewed for achievement of overall objectives.
May help to supervise undergraduate trainees and/or junior software technicians.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in Azure cloud engineering
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience in software design and programming
- Experience designing and implement cloud-based solutions
- Experience with large-scale data management
- Experience with large-scale data processing
- Programming in Python or a combination of relevant languages
- Strong verbal/written communication skills and willingness to work in a team
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science
- Experience with scientific high performance computing environments and solutions
- Experience working in an academic research environment
- Azure Fundamentals and Expert Certification
To apply: Please send your Cover Letter, CV, Transcript and Work Sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put your full name and job title “Cloud Engineer, Programmer, Architect (Microsoft Azure)" in the subject line.