In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Reporting to the Leader, Projects Management Team and working within the context of a research culture and in accordance with established policies and procedures, vision and values of the Genome Sciences Centre (GSC), the Projects Coordinator works with the Projects Managers in the management of various projects and grants at the GSC. A major focus of this position involves monitoring the budgets for various projects and grants as well as progress/milestones, and compilation and analysis of project management data to support project proposals and reports. The Projects Coordinator also coordinates communication from the project team to stakeholders, providing an important liaison role in the project team.
Job Code: PC 07-10-2019
Scope and Complexity
The Projects Coordinator works closely with the Projects Managers, as well as with specific project scientists and Principal Investigators (PIs) to monitor project progress and compile data for reporting both internal and external to the organization. This position requires analytical thinking and superior organization skills to accurately acquire, compile and communicate project information.
The Projects Coordinator works with, and can impact, several levels of the Centre, across projects and teams, providing a link for staff on project management activities and progress, and the use of templates and tools to assist in project activities. The Projects Coordinator requires the ability to exercise independent judgment in facilitating communication and compilation of appropriate project data. Flexibility is required in order to respond to stakeholder’s needs, contractual requirements and strategic priorities.
The Projects Coordinator works with the Projects Managers and Leader, Projects Management Team to monitor budgets and milestones for various projects and grants at the GSC. The Projects Coordinator liaises with others in the Centre and in other organizations as required to gather project data related to budgets, costs, spending, milestones, activity status, communications, and other areas as determined by the Leader, Projects Management Team and Projects Manager. The Projects Coordinator also develops tools and techniques to gather and monitor routine data on progress and status to help ensure that the project objectives/milestones, as well as reporting requirements, are met. These strategies may include developing reporting templates, forms and other tools with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Internally, the Projects Coordinator communicates with the Projects Managers and Projects Team Leader to provide specific data and information on project progress and status. This position is a key member of the Projects team and works through the Projects Manager with the department heads and senior scientists to ensure that accurate data on projects is collected, compiled and reported. The Projects Coordinator consults the Centre’s staff as required, demonstrating political sensitivity and discretion when working across all levels of the organization, among all groups and departments.
Externally, the Projects Coordinator liaises with agencies on communication and reporting matters. The position interacts with project staff at other institutions to facilitate and maintain collaborative relationships.
- Participates on multiple projects and programs throughout the project lifespan; participates in initiatives in project management research, methodology, design, planning, implementation, integration, evaluation and ongoing monitoring.
- Contributes to the monitoring of budgets and progress for research projects, grants and core activities in collaboration with the Leader, Projects Management Team and Projects Managers, to ensure that funds are spent as planned and within budget and that project objectives are achieved.
- Compiles, analyzes, summarizes and communicates data to describe project progress and status. Evaluates whether project objectives/milestones are met in consultation with the Leader, Projects Management Team and Projects Managers. Identifies discrepancies between project progress and anticipated status for the attention of the Projects Team Leader.
- Recommends strategies and develops plans in collaboration with Projects Manager to resolve project efficiency issues where required.
- Liaises with agencies and collaborators on communication and reporting discrepancies and refers strategic issues to the Leader, Projects Management Team.
- Assists the Leader, Projects Management Team and Projects Managers in preparation of written progress reports for projects, grants and collaborations by providing updated budget summary/milestone information.
- Contributes to the preparation, assembly, presentation and distribution of project proposals and reports by compiling information, preparing reporting information including charts, tables and figures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to completion of a diploma/certificate from a recognized college (preferably in Science or Business), plus a minimum of 3 (three) years of recent related experience in project management and/or a research development management role.
Knowledge of project management methodologies and principles, project evaluation and monitoring, and multiple project interaction and integration. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments within a fast paced environment. Demonstrated organizational, analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent ability to organize work and communicate effectively. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Demonstrated computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project). Ability to work under pressure of deadlines. Ability to accept responsibility and work independently. Must be physically able to perform the job duties.
Please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com.
We request that you specify the position you are applying for by identifying the Job Code only (e.g. "PC 07-10-2019") in the subject line of your emailed application.