What you'll do
- Reporting to the Coordinator, Research Grants (or designate) within the administrative group in the department of Advanced Therapeutics (AT), the Research Finance Assistant is responsible for performing administrative duties in support of the financial management of academic and industrial research projects for a broad range of basic and clinical research programs.
- Works on tasks that require analytical analysis, the ability to define and report on processes, work independently with confidential information and the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders and be expected to exercise sound judgment when communicating with these groups.
- Works with the Coordinator, Research Grants to update and report on budgets and make recommendations to ensure sustainability. The Research Finance Assistant monitors expenses such as, but not limited to, ordering/procurement, accounts payable and payroll entries in the general ledger to ensure accuracy.
- Develop the appropriate tools and templates to best facilitate work by using a combination of spreadsheets, word processing and database software.
- Communicates with the PHSA procurement group, PHSA research accounting group, and research personnel on any matters pertaining to accounting, budgeting and finance.
The Research Finance Assistant may communicate with external contacts such as scientific vendors/manufacturers, UBC and VCH financial departments and non-PHSA/BCCA research personnel.
- Monitor budgets, provides input into the development of budgets and on enhancing efficiency for specified grants and projects
- Summarizes monthly and quarterly financial data into reports and provides discussion on variances and discrepancies.
- Receives invoices, matches documents and allocates invoices to grants/funds by assigning codes for payment.
- Develops and maintains a database pertaining to procurement, accounts payable and other transactions.
- Develops and maintains a database of grant applications and related publications.
- Demonstrates work methods to new, junior and coop student staff.
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to completion of a Diploma/Certificate (preferably in Business)
- 1 years recent related experience in research administration or finance role. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments within a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent ability to organize work and communicate effectively.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated computer literacy. Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to accept responsibility and work independently.