Pierre Lane, Ph.D, P.Eng
Research Scientist - Imaging Unit, Integrative Oncology
BC Cancer Research Centre
Imaging Unit, Integrative Oncology
Room 6-122 (office), 5-208 (lab)
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1L3
Tel. (604) 675-8087, Fax (604) 675-8099
Research Scientist, Integrative Oncology, BC Cancer Research Centre
Adjunct Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univeristy of British Columbia
Adjunct Professor, Biomedical and Physiology and Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University
Ph.D, Electrical and Computer Engineeringing, Dalhousie University (Halifax, NS), 1999
M.Eng, Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Nova Scotia (Halifax, NS), 1996
B.Eng and Mgmt, Engineering Physics, McMaster University (Hamilton, ON), 1993
Dr. Lane was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the BC Cancer Research Center (BCCRC) from 1999 to 2001 and has been involved with the commercialization of several optical technologies developed during that time. From 2001 to 2002 he was a Research Scientist at Digital Optical Imaging Corp. where he led the design effort for a confocal microendoscope for early cancer detection. He is currently a Scientist at the BCCRC, an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University, and a consultant in the fields of optics and biophotonics. His research interests include fluorescence and reflectance imaging for early detection of cancer, optical signal and image processing, fiber optics, biophotonics, confocal microscopy, spectroscopy, optical coherence tomography (OCT), and spatial light modulation. He is a member of the IEEE, OSA, SPIE, and is a professional engineer registered in the province of British Columbia.
- JN McAlpinea, S El Hallani, SF Lam, SE Kalloger, M Luk, DG Huntsman, C MacAulay, CB Gilks, DM Miller and PM Lane, "Autofluorescence imaging can identify preinvasive or clinically occult lesions in fallopian tube epithelium: A promising step towards screening and early detection, Gynecologic Oncology, v. 120(3), pp. 385-392, 2011.
- PM Lane and CE MacAulay, “Reflection-contrast limit of fiber-optic image guides,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, v.14(6), 064028, 2009.
- PM Lane, “Terminal Reflections in Fiber-Optic Image Guides,” Applied Optics, v.48(30), pp. 5802-1, 2009.
- PM Lane, S Lam, A McWilliams, J leRiche, M Anderson, C MacAulay, “Confocal Fluorescence Microendoscopy of Bronchial Epithelium,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, v. 14(2), 024008, 2009.
- PM Lane, “Fluorescence Instrumentation for the Direct Visualization of Oral Mucosa,” Inside Dentistry, v.3 (supplement 2) pp. 15-18, 2007.
- CF Poh, SP Ng, PM Williams, L Zhang, DM Laronde, PM Lane, C MacAulay, MP Rosin, “Direct fluorescence visualization of clinically occult high-risk oral premalignant disease using a simple hand-held device,” Head and Neck, v.29(1), pp. 71-76, 2007.
- PM Lane, T Gilhuly, P Whitehead, H Zeng, C Poh, S Ng, M Williams, L Zhang, MP Rosin, CE MacAulay, “Simple Device for the Direct Visualization of Oral-Cavity Tissue Fluorescence,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, v.11, 024006, 2006.
- NB MacKinnon, M Quatrevalet, PM Lane, U Stange, CE MacAulay, “A spectrally programmable light engine for in vitro or in vivo molecular imaging and spectroscopy,” Applied Optics, v.44(11), pp. 2033-2048, 2004.
- R Chamgoulov, PM Lane, C MacAulay, “Optical computed-tomography microscope for three-dimensional quantitative histology,” Cellular Oncology, (26)5-6:319-327, 2004.
- PM Lane, R Van Dommelen, and M Cada, “Compact disc players in the laboratory: Experiments in optical storage, error correction, and optical fiber communication,” IEEE Transactions on Education, v. 44, pp. 47-60, 2001.
- TF Sutherland, PM Lane, CL Amos, and J Downing, “The calibration of optical backscatter sensors for suspended sediment of varying darkness levels,” Marine Geology, v.162, pp. 587-597, 2000.
- PM Lane, ALP Dlugan, R Richards-Kortum, and CE MacAulay, “Fiber-optic confocal microscopy using a spatial light modulator,” Optics Letters, v. 25, pp. 1780-1782, 2000.
- PM Lane and M Cada, "Interferometric optical Fourier-transform processor for the calculation of selected spatial frequencies,” Applied Optics, v. 39, pp. 6573-6586, 2000.
- PM Lane and M Cada, "An optical Fourier processor and point-diffraction interferometer for moving object trajectory estimation," Applied Optics, v. 38, pp. 4306-4315, 1999.